Plan now to join us in Washington, D.C. for Congressional Advocacy Day, during Mid-Year Forum 2020, April 22 to 23 at the Renaissance Downtown. Congressional Advocacy Day is a unique opportunity to lobby members of Congress on the issues that affect your practice and your patients.
How It Works
Commence the evening with a working dinner briefing to prepare for Congressional visits on current advocacy issues affecting medicine. The following day, meet legislators at their place of business - attend Academy-facilitated meetings with your members of Congress and their staff to advocate for your patients and the profession of ophthalmology.
- April 22: Dinner briefing runs from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Academy leaders brief participants on top legislative issues the night before the appointments on Capitol Hill.
- April 23: Breakfast and Q&A session from 7 to 8 a.m. Beginning at 8 a.m., more than 400 ophthalmologists will leave for meetings on Capitol Hill with their senators and representative and/or legislators' staff to present the concerns and positions of the profession.
The Academy does everything you need to make your meetings on Capitol Hill successful: coordinates your appointments; prepares you with a full issue briefing, including background information and talking points on the issues; as well as tips on effective lobbying.
How to Be Prepared
1. Brush up on your advocacy skills before attending Congressional Advocacy Day. Join us for the Pre Fly-In Checklist webinar to discuss tips on how to research your lawmakers, craft personal stories to share during meetings and make local ties during your meeting. The webinar date will be announced in February.
2. Download the Academy’s advocacy app. Get the tools and information you need to successfully advocate on behalf of ophthalmology and your patients on Capitol Hill or at home. Download the app today to access:
- Talking points;
- A map of Washington, D.C., with key locations identified;
- Information on your lawmakers;
- Advocacy tutorial Videos on advocacy;
- Pre-written letters to your lawmakers anytime, anywhere.
To get the free app, search “AAO Advocacy” on the Apple app store or in Google play
3. Watch your email for key talking points and further insight. Materials will be emailed to registered members approximately one week prior to the meeting.