Plan now to join us for virtual Congressional Advocacy Day on Wednesday, May 5, 2021. Registration for Congressional Advocacy Day is required, and is separate from the Mid-Year Forum registration.
How it Works
This year, Academy members won’t have to travel to Washington, D.C., to meet with their legislators and congressional staff for conversations on current advocacy issues affecting medicine.
The Academy is bringing the opportunity to advocate for your profession directly to you from the convenience of your home or office during our second Virtual Congressional Advocacy Day on Wednesday, May 5, where you will have the opportunity to attend Academy-facilitated Zoom meetings with your members of Congress and their staff to advocate for your patients and the profession of ophthalmology.
- Training Webinar and Q&A session the evening of Monday, May 3
- Academy leaders brief participants on top legislative issues before the appointments with legislators and their staff.
- You will also have the opportunity to meet the other members of your meeting delegation to familiarize yourselves with meeting roles.
- A recording of this webinar and Q&A will be made available for additional review prior to the day of your meetings.
- Zoom meetings on Wednesday, May 5 between 8:30.am. and 5:00p.m. (your local time).
- Meet virtually via Zoom with your senators and representative and/or legislators' staff to present the concerns and positions of the profession.
- You will be expected to participate in several meetings with your state and district offices. Most meetings last approximately 30-45 minutes.
The Academy does everything you need to make your virtual meetings successful: coordinates your appointments; prepares you with a full issue briefing, including background information and talking points on the issues; as well as tips on effective lobbying.
Participation is limited, so register early. Note, you must register separately for Mid-Year Forum and Congressional Advocacy Day.
How to Be Prepared
- Brush up on your advocacy skills before attending Congressional Advocacy Day. Use the resources on our Advocacy portal to research your lawmakers and pertinent issues, craft personal stories to share during meetings and make local ties during your meeting.
- Download the Academy’s advocacy app. Get the tools and information you need to successfully advocate on behalf of ophthalmology and your patients on Capitol Hill or at home. Download the app today to access:
- Talking points;
- Tips for a successful Zoom or video teleconference meting;
- Information on your lawmakers;
- Advocacy tutorial Videos on advocacy;
- Pre-written letters to your lawmakers anytime, anywhere.
To get the free app, search “AAO Advocacy” on the Apple app store or in Google play
- Watch your email for key talking points and further insight. Materials will be emailed to registered members approximately one week prior to the meeting.