The American Academy of Ophthalmology IRIS® Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight) is the world’s largest comprehensive eye disease clinical registry. Since launching in 2013, the IRIS Registry has driven the profession’s shared goal of continual improvement in the delivery of eye care.
The IRIS Registry includes nearly 24% of the U.S. Population, plus it:
- Has data on more than 490+ million patient visits
- Serves 15,000+ ophthalmologists and their employed optometrists at 2,900+ practices
- Has helped to facilitate $1.4 billion in Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) penalty avoidance from the inception of the program in 2017 through 2021
In addition to being the least demanding approach to MIPS reporting, participating in the IRIS Registry enables you to:
- Evaluate your practice patterns and improve quality of care with actionable feedback based on your data.
- Benchmark your patient care processes and outcomes against ophthalmic practices across the U.S.
- Contribute to scientific advancement.
IRIS Registry participation is an Academy member benefit for U.S.-based members. Participation is open to both manual reporting practices and electronic health records (EHR)-integrated practices for 2023.
The deadline each year is June 15 to register for EHR integration for the current reporting year. Look at the latest edition of the IRIS Registry Preparation Kit to view a complete list of reporting deadlines and a detailed user guide to support your utilization of the IRIS Registry.
To offer the best possible experience while maintaining IRIS Registry participation as a free member benefit, the Academy works with Verana Health, the end-to-end data and technology partner for the IRIS Registry. Verana Health manages EHR integration, practice support and MIPS quality reporting for contributing physicians.
Learn more about the data and technical specifications of the IRIS Registry.