Vision: To be the most valued and credible professional eye care organization.
Mission: To protect sight and empower lives by serving as an advocate for patients and the public, leading ophthalmic education, and advancing the profession of ophthalmology.
Advocate for Patients and the Public
- Develop external communication strategies to enhance awareness and support for ophthalmic-led eye care.
- Evolve EyeSmart and other public education initiatives to focus on the patient and family experience.
Lead Ophthalmic Education
Offer educational programs to assess and promote clinical excellence and professionalism.
- Leverage the IRIS Registry to identify and develop educational opportunities via the ONE Network and other delivery modalities which will support the Academy's consistet achievement of Accreditation with Commendation from the ACCME.
- Expand the reach of Academy online educational opportunities through knowledge centers on the ONE Network, provide more open access opportunities and develop new content for broader audiences.
- Collaborate with the American Board of Ophthalmology to ensure the Academy can anticipate and deliver activities that help members navigate the dynamic environment of MOC.
- Support and grow the peer-review and member publication family of Ophthalmology and EyeNet Magazine.
- Develop a plan for more extensive on-line clinical care support tool applications intended for mobile platforms.
- Work with the PAAO leadership and staff to implement the MOU for the 2018 meeting in Chicago.
Advance the Profession of Ophthalmology
Provide services that attract and retain Academy members and foster engagement with the Academy and its programs.
- Execute a broad-based media relations strategy that maintains the Academy's stature in the news media as the leading authority on eye health.
- Conduct a new Member Engagement Survey to determine progress on further engaging targeted member groups and assessing overall member engagement with the Academy.
- Ensure that the IRIS Registry continues to provide substantive member value, supports membership participation in the Medicare Quality Payment Program, and supports a program of scientific discovery.
- Develop and implement a multi-year program to attract under-represented minorities to the profession of ophthalmology.
Advocate effectively on behalf of ophthalmology and patients and for the eye care needs of the public and communities.
- For codes targeted as mis-valued, ensure fair valuation of ophthalmology services.
- Engage the Public in efforts to derail state legislative surgical proposals that threaten patient safety and surgical standards of care.
- Implement leadership programs (LDP, AAP, MYF) that educate and engage on Advocacy.
- Support registries by advocating for open-source data interoperability standards and inclusion of registries in value payment plans.
- Lead coalition to advance fairness for Medicare Part B Drug payments to physicians.
Offer management resources that anticipate and meet the needs of ophthalmic practices and practitioners in providing the highest quality care with effective and efficient use of resources.
- Expand offerings for physician members both online and in regional and national meetings.
- Explore integration of IRIS Registry dataset and practice management support tools.
- Explore application development to enhance practice management tool set.
- Ensure ophthalmologists have the tools to completely avoid Medicare MIPS penalties based on 2018 performance.
Manage the Academy's financial resources to provide the highest quality education and professional services for our members while being effective fiscal stewards.
- Achieve a net operating income goal of 3 percent to allow an annual asset transfer to the Foundation to fund future programs.
- Support DigiSight Technologies commercialization efforts to maximize value of partnership and Academy equity assets.
Utilize tools and systems to advance the Academy's ability to manage the organization effectively in service to its mission.
- Continue the Academy’s position as leader and convener of all ophthalmic societies.
- Continue the partnership with the American Academy of Optometry.
- Implement Personify/FigMD data exchange system to accurately capture member participation in the IRIS Registry.