Priority points are awarded to exhibiting companies to recognize their participation at the annual meeting and overall support for the Academy. These points are used to determine the exhibit booth space location in the Expo.
The priority point ranking is calculated on a rolling basis based on the company’s participation in the prior three years. The AAO 2023 rankings are based on the points accumulated for 2020, 2021 and 2022.
Expo Priority Points
Companies earn the following priority points for their participation in the Expo:
- One (1) point per 100 square foot of exhibit space secured or equivalent space used at the current meeting (e.g., a 20’ x 30’ island would earn 6 points; a 40’ x 40’ island would earn 16 points, etc.)
- Two (2) points for submitting full payment with the online exhibit space application.
- Two (2) points for using ninety-five to one hundred percent (95 – 100%) of the initial hotel room block secured through the official housing service, Expovision.
- Two (2) points for completing the entire exhibitor survey.
Earning Additional Points
Exhibitors can receive additional priority points for Academy and Foundation sponsorship support, and for aggregate advertising spend.
One (1) point is awarded for each $5,000 spent, with no cap on the points earned, on Academy and Foundation sponsorship support, including:
- Running a digital or print ad in Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology Retina, and Ophthalmology Glaucoma.
- Running a digital or print ad in EyeNet Magazine or any of its related annual meeting publications.
- Supporting an EyeNet Corporate Lunch or Breakfast.
- Running a digital ad on AAO.org or in an Academy e-newsletter.
- Buying advertising in the Academy's annual meeting printed program.
- Reserving a promotional opportunity at the Academy's annual meeting.
Academy Sponsorship and Foundation Support
- Sponsoring any Academy program through the Foundation.
- Sponsoring any Foundation activity, including the Orbital Gala.
- Membership in the Ophthalmic Business Council.
- Making an in-kind asset-transfer donation to the Foundation (e.g., product donation to the Orbital Gala).