• Is the infection in my eyelid a stye?


    I have what looks like a stye below my eye. It's not along the lash line, it's in the area under my eye. Can that be a stye or are they only along the lash line?


    This may be a chalazion, which is a red, usually painless, area of swelling in a meibomian gland (oil glands in the eyelid that keep the eye lubricated). Chalazia may develop after a stye and are treated with warm compresses, topical steroid antibiotic drops and even an oral medication. If they do not go away, a steroid injection or even an incision and drainage may be needed.

    Answered By: