• Why does my 2-year-old have unequally dilated pupils?


    I noticed my 2-year-old has one eye that appears more dilated than the other. He’s speech-delayed, so he can’t tell me if his sight is off in any way. I took him to my eye doctor at 6 months old and no issues were observed. What might this be and what should I do?


    Any time you notice changes in a pupil, it is recommended that you discuss this with your pediatrician. They will be able to assess the child for a history that could explain this finding. They will also perform a limited neurological assessment to see if the symptom is isolated to the eyes. Often, they will recommend that you see a pediatric ophthalmologist.

    While it is common for some people to have very slight differences in pupil size, sudden appearance of this symptom could be a sign of a more serious condition.