JAN 05, 2022
Glaucoma Screening Benefits Reminder
Carrier Medical Directors for Part B Medicare would like all ophthalmologists and their staff to recall the components of the glaucoma screening benefit.
When patients phone the office and ask to be screened for glaucoma, staff should confirm the patient meets the criteria, which is any of the following:
- People with diabetes mellitus
- Persons with a family history of glaucoma
- African Americans age 50 and older
- Hispanic Americans age 65 and older
Exam elements include:
- A dilated eye examination with an intraocular pressure measurement and
- A direct ophthalmoscopy examination or a slit-lamp biomicroscopic examination.
HCPCS codes for claim submission G0117 Glaucoma screening for high-risk patients furnished by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. The allowable, depending on geographic region, is around $65.
ICD-10 code Z13.5 Encounters for screening for eye and ear disorders
The benefit is every 12 months. Copayments, coinsurance and deductible applies.