DEC 01, 2022
Post Cataract Glasses Prescription
What is required on a prescription for glasses after cataract surgery for traditional Medicare to pay?
Visit Coding Updates and Resources, where you will find a free copy of the Optical Dispensing Coding Module. A detailed written order for the lens(es), including frames, must include:
- Beneficiary’s name or Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) Number
- Physician’s name or National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- Date of the surgery
- Date of the order and the start date, if start date is different from the date of the order
- Detailed description of the item(s). It should include the diagnosis code and/or a narrative diagnosis for the condition necessitating the lens(es).
- Treating practitioner signature