Well-trained technicians, assistants and nurses are vital to the ophthalmic patient care team. Academy resources provide practice staff with a solid foundation of clinical knowledge and the references they need to stay up to date.
Essential Training for Ophthalmic Technicians
The cornerstone of Academy training for technicians is the Ophthalmic Medical Assisting: An Independent Study Course
, now in its sixth edition. This fully illustrated textbook explains ophthalmic science, practice techniques, and office interactions, with step-by-step guidance on common procedures. The accompanying online exam contains multiple-choice questions aligned with the content of the textbook.
Successful completion of the course and online exam serves as a prerequisite for the Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA) exam administered by the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO).
Additional Clinical Education / Training Resources
Fundamentals of Ophthalmic Medical Assisting
– DVD that provides step-by-step instructions for the various procedures an ophthalmic technician needs to perform. These videos are also included in the print textbook and eBook.
Building Clinical Skills
Ophthalmic Procedures in the Office and Clinic
– Print book that covers 89 procedures performed by a technician or nurse in an ophthalmic office or clinic setting. Each topic includes step-by-step instructions and a list of required equipment. Published by the American Society of Ophthalmic Registered Nurses (ASORN).
– Print or digital book with practical information on the diagnosis, management and referral of common ocular disorders, and important ophthalmic concepts and techniques.
Preferred Practice Pattern® Guidelines
collection of 47 downloadable PDF files that identify the characteristics of quality eye care and form a core of guidance for the overall clinical practice.
online ophthalmic encyclopedia that covers the vast spectrum of eye disease, diagnosis and treatment. Includes hundreds of articles written by ophthalmologists.
comprehensive website for accurate, timely, and relevant eye health information, provided as a public service by the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Practice Management and Coding Resources
– The American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives (AAOE) offers information, programs, products, and services designed to support the successful management of ophthalmic practices.
– Everything you need to successfully transition to ICD-10, developed by AAOE.
Ophthalmology Job Center – Find a job with a targeted search, or fill a position with the most qualified and talented pool of ophthalmologists and ophthalmic professionals in the United States.
Other Professional Associations