Session Room Specifications
Health and Safety
The American Academy of Ophthalmology is committed to the health and well-being of our meeting speakers. The following changes are being implemented for AAO 2021:
- All attendees will need to show proof of vaccination to obtain their badge.
- Masks will be required while indoors at the convention center.
- Speakers may remove their masks when going on stage to speak.
- Speaker Ready Rooms have been reset to allow for more physical distancing.
- There will be hand sanitizer available near the stage stairs so that speakers can sanitize their hands before and after using the podium.
- Only 2 people will sit at each panel table and each panelist will have their own microphone.
- The microphones and podium will cleaned at breaks.
- All rooms will be set to allow for more physical distancing and will not be set to full capacity.
- Skills labs rooms have been rearranged to allow for more physical distancing. Face shields will be available for lab instructors.
Learn more about the steps being take to ensure a safe AAO 2021.
All presentations are given from a single lectern. Each lectern is equipped with:
- Lectern microphone;
- Mouse for slide advance; and
- Timed warning light.
Using the Mouse/Pointer
A computer mouse will be placed on the right side of the lectern. Presenters will use this mouse to advance and reverse their slides, as well as launch their own embedded video clips. If a presenter is not comfortable with advancing their own presentation, please check in with the in-room technical staff member to make those arrangements.
Presenters will see a large green arrow icon on the screen which follows the movement of the mouse. This feature allows the presenter to use the mouse as a pointer during their talk. It is important to use this feature in rooms with more than one projection screen to allow viewers to see the pointer on all screens.
Please do not move the mouse if you are not utilizing the green arrow as a pointer as it will be a distraction during your presentation.
Loading and Advancing Your Presentation
Important: Do not attempt to advance your slides until the AV technician in the room has given you a visual cue that your slides are loaded and ready to advance. Slides will not advance if you click the mouse too early.
At the conclusion of each talk, the technical staff will load the title slide of the next presentation.
Timed Warning Lights
The lectern has a speaker timer warning system which will be operated by the Floor Manager and/or the Chair/Section Moderator. The lighting stand has three colored display panels which will alert you to the following:
Green Light — this will be activated at the beginning of your presentation and will remain green until you have one-minute left.
Yellow Light — this is activated with one minute left in your presentation alerting you to start your summary and concluding comments.
Red Light — when your allotted time has expired this light will be activated. Please conclude your presentation.
Next to the lectern is the chairperson's table equipped with:
- Table microphone;
- Telephone; and
- Speaker timer control unit.
The telephone is used by the Chair/Section Moderator to discretely contact the floor manager for any technical issues or programming changes.
Floor Manager Table
Presenters are asked to check-in with the floor manager prior to the session.
Floor Managers monitor the time of each talk and warn speakers when they are going over their allotted time. A countdown time will be visible to the speaker at the podium.
Instruction Course Room Specifications
Standard course room set up includes theater seating, a lectern with microphone, (2) head tables with four (4) chairs and four (4) table microphones, LCD projector and 16:9 format projection screen, audio mixer, presentation laptop PC with a mouse that can accept media on a USB storage device, and HDMI connections at the lectern and head table to connect the computer sources to the LCD projector.
Note: Instruction course rooms are non-networked rooms. Presenters will upload their presentation directly to the PC laptop in the course room.
You may bring your own laptop - MAC computers are not provided in course rooms. If you bring a MAC, make sure you also bring the requisite adapter/dongle to convert to HDMI.
Equipment in the Room
1 PC Laptop
- Model: Dell Latitude
- Software: Windows 7 Pro and Office 2013
- 6 x 10.8 or 7.6 x 13.4 – Front projection widescreen (16.9 resolution format)
- LCD Projector (HD 16.9 resolution format)
- Safelock projection stand
- HDMI switcher
- (2) 6’ tables and 4 chairs
- Lectern microphone
- (4) Table microphones
- DI box (for direct inputs – i.e. computer audio)