Resources and Links for People with Low Vision
There are numerous resources and devices to help people with low vision enjoy a wide range of activities and hobbies. Some of the national resources are mentioned here. Other local resources may be available as well. Check with your ophthalmologist and vision rehabilitation team to learn more.
More Information About Low Vision in Children
Audio Books and Magazines, Available by Mail or by Downloading to a Device
Large Print Materials and Visual Devices
Technologies: Computers, Cell Phones, Video Magnifiers
National Organizations for Support, Information and Research Updates
Vision Rehabilitation Self-Help Materials
- VisionAwareTM Emotional Adjustment to Vision Loss from the American Printing House for the Blind
- Fall prevention brochure from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- A Self-Help Guide to Nonvisual Skills (PDF), D. Roberts, 2011
- Making Life More Livable: Simple Adaptations for Living at Home After Vision Loss, M. Duffy, American Printing House for the Blind; 800-223-1839
- Macular Degeneration: The Complete Guide to Saving and Maximizing Your Sight, L. Mogk, MD, & M. Mogk, PhD, NY: Ballantine Books 2003
- The First Year — Age-Related Macular Degeneration, D. Roberts, NY: Da Capo Press, 2006
- Overcoming Macular Degeneration: A Guide to Seeing Beyond the Clouds, Y. Solomon, MD, & J. Solomon, NY: BookSurge Publishing 2009
Pediatric and Youth Resources
Camps and Organizations
Locate Vision Rehabilitation Services Near You
Ask if services include a vision rehabilitation consultation by an MD or OD; device recommendations; devices for loan; rehabilitation training for reading, writing, shopping, cooking, lighting, glare control; home assessment; mobility training; support groups. Ask about cost: Are these services free, billed to insurance or paid another way? Medicare covers most services but not devices.
Veterans can receive services and devices free of charge.
Do you know of a good resource that’s not listed here? Let us know by emailing email@example.com.