How Should You Take Steroid Tablets?
Follow your ophthalmologist’s instructions about how and when to take steroid tablets. Notify your primary care doctor you will be taking steroids. The following are several important tips to follow:
- take your tablets with a meal to avoid stomach irritation.
- carefully watch your diet as well as your salt intake
- exercise regularly to maintain muscle strength
- limit alcohol consumption
- avoid vaccination or immunization, unless your doctor tells you it is OK.
Do not stop taking the tablets suddenly. This may result in severe side effects. When you stop taking steroids, you should slowly reduce your dosage. You may still notice minor effects, including:
- lack of appetite
- joint aches
You can develop serious eye disorders if you take steroid tablets for conditions not related to the eye. These disorders include glaucoma and cataracts. Tell your doctor if you have problems while using steroids, including:
- vision problems
- eye pain
- redness, and