An Eye-Healthy Holiday Dessert
Eat Right to Delay AMD
Healthy eating habits may delay age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Although there is no cure for AMD, recent studies show that eating certain foods may reduce the risk of AMD, or slow its progression in some people.
So, what type of foods should you eat?
- Most fruits and vegetables contain Vitamin C, including oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, papaya, green peppers and tomatoes.
- Vitamin E can be found in vegetable oils (safflower and corn oil), almonds, pecans, wheat germ and sunflower seeds.
- For beta-carotene, try deep orange or yellow fruits and vegetables such as cantaloupe, mangos, apricots, peaches, sweet potatoes and carrots.
- Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli, and asparagus are the primary sources of lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Good sources of zinc include beef, pork, lamb, oysters, eggs, shellfish, milk, peanuts, whole grains and wheat germ.
- Good sources of omega-3 fatty acids are leafy green vegetables, nuts, fish, and vegetable oils such as canola, soy, and especially flaxseed.
Luscious Grapefruit Meringue
"Making a choice to get healthier with your eating choices can have such a huge affect on every aspect of your life. My sister has cataracts and macular issues. The state of her eyes affects everything. Learning that something as simple and wonderful as cooking healthy food can actually help is truly empowering."
— Chef Janette Barber
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectionary sugar
- 2 large pink grapefruits, halved, sections pre-cut for easier eating
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites with the vanilla cream of tartar and the salt until foamy. Gradually add the confectionary sugar and continue beating until the mixture is shiny and forms stiff peaks. Cover the surface of the each grapefruit half completely with generous gobs of meringue and bake for 15 or 20 minutes until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 Servings