Ophthalmology’s must-attend meeting is less than two months away, and the Academy is thrilled to see the profession gather in San Francisco.
This year’s festivities are once-again jam-packed with courses and events designed with young ophthalmologists in mind. From practice tips to surgical skills to wellness pearls, AAO 2023 will give you everything you need to succeed in all aspects of your young career.
Welcome to the City by the Bay and enjoy the YO show!
YO Program, Sunday, Nov. 5
Room 151-152, Moscone South
The Academy’s annual YO Program
is a program like no other. It’s an essential, LIVE three-part course and the pinnacle event for all members in training — residents and fellows — as well as physicians in their first five years of practice.
Part 1: Launching Your Career: 9:45 to 11 a.m.
YOs face numerous challenges upon graduating from residency and fellowship training, and we’re here to help address all of the questions you’ll have when starting your careers. Talks include:
- How I Built This: Starting a Practice From Scratch
- The Art of Contract Negotiation: How to Get What You Want
- It’s Not Me, It’s You: Job switches and When to Move on
Also be sure to meet Grayson Armstrong MD, MPH — the Academy’s 2023 Artemis Award winner — selected in recognition of the tremendous work he’s done to advocate and enhance care for his patients.
Part 2: Wellness Throughout Your Training and Career: 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
Physician Burnout and Lifestyle Medicine — Staying Healthy Throughout Your Career
E. Shanika Esparaz, MD
Join the conversation on balancing parenthood, maintaining financial viability and protecting your patients and yourself. Talks include:
- Family Planning and Fertility
- Finding Your Community
And don’t miss out on seeing the winning videos from this year’s YO/ONE® Network Surgical Video Competition!
Part 3: Future of the Profession: 2 to 3:15 p.m.
The Future of Social Media
William Flanary, MD (aka, Dr. Glaucomflecken)
Your future will be bright and challenging. Get inspired and learn about sustainability to protect the planet, side hustles to social media strategies and new technology within ophthalmology and health care.
More on the YO Show
You can also use AAO 2023 to learn about real-world aspects of practicing medicine, such as getting paid, choosing the right type of practice setting, working internationally, and staying passionate about your profession. YO-specific content includes:
- Welcome to the Real World of Ophthalmology: Reality 101 for Residents and Fellows, Saturday, Nov. 4, 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., Moscone South, Room 155. Join an interactive YO panel discussion around practice management pearls and how active participation in organized medicine can be a unique benefit for your career.
- Know Your Worth: Salaries, Reimbursement and Legislation, Saturday, 1 to 2 p.m., Moscone West Expo, Booth 7007. This learning lounge session will feature an exciting group of panelists discussing different practice settings, health policy, private equity and more.
- Start Stop and Continue: Lessons from a Lifetime of Surgery, Saturday, 2 to 3:15 p.m., Moscone South, Room 151-153. In this session, YOs and Senior Ophthalmologists (SOs) join forces and discuss lifelong practices of being a surgeon.
- Building a Global Ophthalmology Community, Sunday, Nov. 5, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., Moscone West Expo, Booth 7007. Join another exciting group of panelists as they discuss how the Academy and others in the global ophthalmology field are creating an enhanced community to address the global problem of vision impairment.
AAO 2023 Virtual
If you’re unable to attend the annual meeting in person, the Academy has your back with AAO 2023 Virtual. Registration includes:
- Annual meeting sessions — highlights streamed live from San Francisco and available later to view online
- On-demand-only content developed specifically for the online platform
- Videos and posters
- Virtual expo
- Virtual industry showcases
- CME credits available
However you do AAO 2023, make sure to check program search for the most up-to-date course information and use the filter option to view AAO 2023 events endorsed specifically by the Young Ophthalmologist Committee.