The Academy offers educational programs, practice management resources and professional development catered to each level of training, from residency and fellowship to early practice and academia.
Be sure to bookmark both the Young Ophthalmologists and Residents landing pages on AAO.org: aao.org/yo and aao.org/residents.
Join the Academy Today
All physicians engaged in a full-time ophthalmology residency or fellowship training program in the United States or Canada are eligible for complimentary Academy membership for the duration of their training. Additionally, they are eligible to receive a complimentary American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives® (AAOE®) membership that provides resources for managing the business side of an ophthalmic practice (a $299 value). Apply as a member in training at aao.org/join.
For the complete list of Academy and AAOE benefits, go to aao.org/benefits.
Enhance Your Clinical Education
- Learn from the no. 1 peer-reviewed journal in the specialty with your free subscription to the Ophthalmology® journal — aao.org/journals.
- Prepare for the Academy’s Ophthalmic Knowledge Assessment Program (OKAP) exam, taken every year of residency, and for the American Board of Ophthalmology / ABO board exam with Ophthalmic Knowledge Flashcards — aao.org/flashcards.
- Get the latest industry news and clinical roundups with free access to EyeNet® Magazine — aao.org/eyenet.
- Get alerts for new clinical updates with the free AAO Ophthalmic Education App — aao.org/education-app.
- View surgical videos and images demonstrating basic skills — aao.org/browse-multimedia.
- Read the Preferred Practice Pattern® Guidelines — aao.org/ppp.
- Stock up on the latest clinical education, patient education and practice management materials with member pricing at the Academy Store — aao.org/store.
Be an Advocate
Meet Up at AAO 2021: Re/Create
- Get ready for AAO 2021, the Academy’s annual meeting in New Orleans (Nov. 12–15) and Subspecialty Day (Nov. 12–13) — aao.org/2021.
- Registration opens on June 16 for Academy members and July 7 for nonmembers — aao.org/registration.
- Attend special programming such as the Young Ophthalmologist (YO) Program and “Welcome to the Real World of Ophthalmology: Reality 101 for Residents and Fellows.”
- Visit the YO Lounge and attend daily educational and networking events.
Stay Connected With the Academy