Young ophthalmologists who attend AAO 2023 are here to discover innovative surgical techniques, practice management tips and everything necessary to put their young careers on the best track moving forward.
But don’t forget — when YOs gather in San Francisco this November, there’s also plenty of opportunities for F.U.N. Don’t miss out on how you too can let loose with events just for YOs.
Recharge in the YO Lounge
Medical student members, members in training and members in their first five years in practice can take a break, attend daily events and enjoy light refreshments in the YO Lounge in room 102, Moscone South.
Friday, Nov. 3: 2 to 3 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 4 and 5: 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 6: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Meeting badge with YO ribbon required for admission.
- Happy Hour — Welcoming International YOs Friday, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. It’s happy hour, and we’re welcoming our International YO members to San Francisco! Network with colleagues and learn about the latest efforts the Academy is making around the globe.
- Empower Hour — Academy Resources for Every Stage of Your Career Saturday, 1 to 2 p.m. New members are encouraged to attend this lunchtime session and learn everything essential for navigating the Academy.
- Happy Hour — Advocacy Ambassador Reunion Saturday, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. During this happy hour, reunite and network with fellow Advocacy Ambassador Program alumni and learn about those who have been engaged at the state and federal levels.
- Empower Hour – Career Sustainability Sunday, 1 to 2 p.m. Sustain your career and surgical environment by attending this lunchtime session.
- Empower Hour – YO ARVO! Navigating a Career as a Clinician Scientist Sunday, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Clinician scientists share pearls on what is beneficial for YOs who may be pursuing a career in research. Gain tips on finding and applying for grants, plus much more.
Get the Party Started With Your Colleagues
LGBTQ+ Reception — Allies Welcome: Saturday 5-7 p.m. SPIN San Francisco, 690 Folsom St.
The Orbital 2023: Gold Rush Sunday, 6 to 9 p.m., Westin St. Francis Hotel Don't miss this opportunity to join your colleagues for an elegant experience. The 20th annual Orbital will feature an exciting live auction and other surprises. Discounted tickets available just for YOs! Register at aao.org/foundation/gala-overview.
Check out these exclusive Orbital auction items:
- Coffee with the Experts – Susan H. Day, MD; Tamara R. Fountain, MD; Ruth D. Williams, MD
- 2 coaching sessions with communications consultant Marsheila DeVan. Find out how to make a great first impression, dealing with difficult people and more.
Global YO Reception Sunday, 9 to midnight, location TBD. Following the Orbital, come mingle with other YOs from around the world. The most entertaining event at the meeting is always packed to capacity. More details to come in October!
LGBTQ+ Community Meet and Greet, Sunday, 4-5 p.m., Moscone South, Room 52-56
That’s Not All!
Coming soon: To find a schedule of special events, select the "Program" button on the main menu of the Mobile Meeting Guide, then select the "Adjunct Event Search." Type in the search field or use the filters to find what you seek. Here are some unique activities.
- EyePlay Experience Saturday to Monday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Booth 4858. Relieve stress by petting therapeutic animals, playing a game, enjoying a photo op, consulting with Tech Bar experts, charging your mobile device, participating in a service project or networking with colleagues. Best of all: This is your chance to get a much-needed massage!
- Catch the latest exhibit at the Truhlsen-Marmor Museum of the Eye®, Moscone West Expo, Booth 7529 titled "Doctor and Detective: History of Ophthalmic Diagnostics.
- Free headshots Update your pic online with a new professional photo and find out about discounts at the Academy Resource Center, Moscone West Expo, Booth 7537.
Get a Little Peace and Quiet
Camp AAO Your kids can also have fun while you take a break. Attendees with kids age 6 months to 12 years old can take advantage of child care in San Francisco provided by ACCENT.
7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday, Nov. 3 to Sunday, Nov. 5
7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday, Nov. 6
Note: Be sure to preregister and make a payment by Oct. 27 to reserve your child’s spot.
Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Monday 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Moscone North, Room 114 lower mezzanine level; ADA near room 50
- Moscone West on Level 2 near Room 2024
A quiet, clean environment for nursing mothers. In addition, Moscone Center provides Mamava Lactation Suites, unlocked with the Mamava Mobile App.