Still Life Drawing
Description: Students will explore overlapping
Purpose: To show that overlapping creates depth in a drawing
Length of Activity: 20 - 45 minutes
- Still life ingredients, can include an 3-dimensional objects such as fruit, vegetables, or school supplies.
- Container such as a bowl is optional
- Paper, one piece per student
- Colored pencils, markers, crayons
1. Pile the objects so that they overlap from all directions. If using a bowl or other container, place objects inside.
2. Ask students to draw what they see.
What’s Going On?
When objects are drawn side by side (no overlapping) then they tend to look flat. Overlapping objects tells our brains that certain things are closer (in the foreground) and certain things are farther away (in the background). Another way of putting it is that overlapping creates depth.