FEB 26, 2020
Education in professional standards for the ethical practice of ophthalmology is one of the primary goals of the Ethics Committee. The Jerome W. Bettman Sr., MD, Ethics Education Lecture Program (the Ethics Lecture Program) is one way the committee accomplishes that goal. The Ethics Lecture Program is available for teaching institutions as well as state/regional ophthalmology societies.
What to Expect
- The lectures are comprised of an in-person presentation with time for Q & A, and are designed to encourage practical problem solving and to explore larger ethical concepts. The interactive lectures focus on topics unique to residency education as well as the practicing ophthalmologist. Ethics Committee members and staff present the lecture program, which is easily tailored to the needs of the sponsoring organization. In addition to residents, we encourage opening the lecture to faculty, technicians, and administrative/support staff for a comprehensive look at ethics and professionalism in ophthalmology.
How to Schedule a Lecture
- To schedule a lecture, contact the Academy ethics manager, Mara Pearse Burke, at 319.351.0440 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should include several possible dates for your proposed lecture and should be made at least three to six months before the desired date of the lecture.
Lecture Calendar and Locations June 2019 → YTD 2020
- Virginia Society of Eye Physicians & Surgeons, McLean, VA - June 14, 2019
- Ophthalmic Business Council, AAO Board of Trustees Meeting, September 2019
- Univ of Colorado, Dept of Ophthalmology - October 4, 2019
- Univ of Illinois, Chicago, Dept of Ophthalmology - November 19, 2019
- University of Iowa, Dept of Ophthalmology, Iowa City, IA - February 14, 2010
- Utah Ophthalmology Society, Salt Lake City, UT - February 28, 2020 - CANCELLED
- SUNY Syracuse, April/May 2020 (being scheduled)
- New York Univ, Dept of Ophthalmology, Susruta Lecturer, May 29, 2020
- Rush Medical School, Alumni Meeting, Chicago, IL - June 12, 2020
- University of Minnesota, Dept of Ophthalmology - October 16, 2020
- Maryland Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons (being scheduled)